3.25.2013

Art Work That I Choose For Assignment

" The Open " 《敞开者》by Xiang Jing (2006)

Background :
This is a large scale sculpture of a nude woman. The size is 360cm X 610cm X 360cm. It is made by painted fiber glass. This art work had been display in many different exhibitions. Such as, Beijing. This work is strong sense of Feminism. Also it gains many people to question the social value of the woman. 

How this art work relate to the contemporary art?

First, material using of the art piece.
The artist use contemporary material. According the technology develop faster in recent decades, many new material was innovated by scientist or artist. Xaing Jing tries to use new material to apply in her art work. According Xiang Jing use the fiber glass, the sculpture become more realistic. Just like a human body's skin.



Second, the context of the sculpture is related to the social problem in world, especially in China.
In my opinion, i think this is the most big reason that why " The Open " is contemporary art. The context of this sculpture is the point that attracts me a lot. It connects to the contemporary culture. Also, it raises the concern of female in China. We can separate in few parts to analysis that how this art work relates to the social issues.
The Big Scale of Female's Body
The scale of the sculpture is really big. As we can see the photo form the right hand side. I think it is ironic presentation. In many places, the social value of the woman are normally lower that the man's. Usually, man is bigger than the female. No matter in the human nature or physically, woman is small. It seems they are less power to speak out their wishes.
A Nude Female's Body
Most of her sculptures are woman in nude. From this art work, you can see that she emphasize the subjective creative perspective. All the things are personally . it is because Xiang Jing is a female. So, the image of the female is different form what the man expected. From this art piece, i think that Xiang Jing wants to express the imbalance situation in the world. That is the problem that exist in the society from the long long time ago. We can see the passive and the active relation between female and man. i think she wants to present that man will create many layers of camouflage when they watching a girl. They give the oppressive pressure to the woman.



References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiang_Jing_(artist)
http://art.china.cn/focusart/2010-03/12/content_3415737.htm
http://big5.china.cn/gate/big5/art.china.cn/focusart/2010-03/12/content_3415562.htm

5 comments:

  1. Hi there, this is a really interesting artwork. I am very into feminism, this artwork totally caught my attention and I believe it is an amazing feminist sculpture to arouse the imbalance of rights and power between men and women.

    I have few questions about this artwork: Are there any reasons why the nude woman has no hair? Does Xiang Jing want to express a new interpretation of aesthetics?

    Are there any meanings from the nude woman's facial expression? She looks confused and uneasy. Does that mean she has no positive outlook on the woman rights?

    Why the sculpture is sitting instead of standing? Any reasons of the way she put her hands like this and the feet are tangled?

    Thanks for the sharing.

    Nikita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this art work is quite interesting and meaningful. I appreciate the idea and concept of this art work. it can display unfairness between women and men in China.

    I would like to ask you mention that " The Open " connects to the contemporary culture.
    What is the contemporary culture ? What do you want to say?

    Why the nude women has no hair and why the nude woman does not wear clothes ?
    Does artist has any meaning and which ideas does artist want to express?

    King

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your chosen art work. It shows the inbalance of men and women. Art is a tool to express emotion to our society. Women have the right to live in our society. I think it is not coincidence that the artist is women.

    I have some question about the art work. Why do the sculpture is yellow colour? Why the sculpture of women is so fat? Is there any reason?

    Anyway, i love your chosen art work because it is meaningful for us to think. We should not justify a person with gender. Thank you for your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really an interesting and special artwork, I love this so much! I think that a good artwork is not only for appreciation and reputation, but also reminding some messages to or facilitating the improvement of our society. I appreciate the artist so much!

    I would like to ask some question about it. In fact, when I first see the artwork, I think it is a male. Why there are only so little indications showing that she is a female, but not a fat male?

    Besides, you mention that "Most of her sculptures are woman in nude". Is there any reasons for that? What inspirit the artist to have this idea? Is it related to any art movement or other artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Celine,
    Judging from the post and your presentation, the focus will be on female representation and feminism in Xiang Jing's art work. You have been able to provide your interpretation of the work, but in your final paper try to ground this with facts and examples. What are feminist issues that have been lasting for a long time you mention? What are examples of feminist art, or how are women typically represented in mainstream art / male art? And is there a difference in China and the Western world? If you can provide these your paper will become more than just your own opinion and be stronger.

    ReplyDelete